Thursday, April 02, 2015

Tieg Gorabh and the Liar

SHEPHERD piping in a dell,
Piping sweetly, piping well,
What is this strange tale you tell
     Softly to your pipe?
Do you say the folk are seen
Dancing gaily on the green,
That the women come to glean
     Where the corn is ripe?
Shepherd piping in a dell,
What is this strange tale you tell :
Is it one you heard in hell?

Do you sing it, that a maid
Tripping lightly in the glade
Debonair and unafraid,
     Fared to meet her boy?
Do you tell they wooed and wed,
Lived and loved till they were dead,
Lying lightly head to head,
     Wearied out with joy?
Shepherd, singing such a song,
Tho' your voice is sweet and strong,
You've been singing lies too long.

Shepherd, listen to my rune :
I can sing another tune ;
There is murder in the moon ;
     Wan she is and white.
And the sun is hot with strife,
Every star is sure a knife
Levelled secretly at life
     Deadly in the night.
Shepherd piping, I can tell,
For I know it fine and well,
What you learned to pipe in hell.

Shepherd piping, well I know
Why the world is wild with woe,
'Tis your master made it so
     That he might be gay.
Piper, piping us a dream,
I will stand beside the stream
As you pipe, and I will scream
     "Satan's at the play."
Shepherd, do you pipe of gold?
Blood I'll scream is bought and sold,
So I'll scream till all are told.

They shall hear and understand ;
They shall hear me say and tell
That the coal you use in hell
Is the gold they love so well.
Piper, piping, help's at hand;
Sing your sweetest, here I stand.

Insurrections [1909]

No comments:

Post a Comment